Should I contact the professor before having been selected for the research internship program in order to increase my chances of being selected?
No, we ask that you do not contact the professors directly concerning your application at this stage. Should you be selected for the program, the Research Internship Program Committee will work on your placement.
For the motivation letter, are the readers expecting something specifically for the lab and my area of interest? Or it is a letter that states my qualifications?
Your letter should address both: your qualifications, but also a brief explanation of why you have applied to your selected laboratories. In your motivation letter you could add the following:
- why would you like to come to Switzerland
- why would you like to undertake a research internship at EPFL
- why have you selected the laboratory(ies) / professor(s) that you did
- do you have an interest in eventually undertaking a semester or year exchange at EPFL
- do you have an eventual interest in learning French
- what are your future personal / study / research / professional objectives
The application form says that I need 2 transcripts. I only have one from my university. Is there something else that I need to include in place of an additional transcript?
What counts is that the two academic years are being reflected. You can send one document with the final grades of the three years of study at your current university. If you are currently a third year student, you could send one transcript with the two academic years being reflected.
For the reference letters, do I have to submit a letter of recommendation from my faculty/professor or a reference letter from a past employer (past internship supervisor in my case)? If both are acceptable, which one is usually recommended?
Both are absolutely fine. Choose what is best in your opinion.
Which study level do I need to be in in order to being able to undertake a research internship at EPFL?
At the time of undertaking your research internship you need to be a
- Bachelor student: 3rd and 4th year.
- Masters student: 1st and 2nd year.