WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU?
A three-month internship at EPFL that will allow you to:
- Expand your knowledge, explore new or alternative fields, widen your horizon
- Specialize within a specific scientific subject
- Gain experience in a cutting-edge lab and boost your career prospects
- Work and interact with first-rate researchers
- Discover a new exciting university and its excellent Professors
- Enlarge your experience in a scenic country and immerse yourself in a new culture
A Scholarship of Excellence will be awarded to some successful candidates to cover the main costs of living. EPFL will not charge any fees for the Research Internship Program.
The Research Internship Program is opened to excellent students (top 10%) registered in high-ranking universities. Applicants should have at least completed their 2nd year of Bachelor (undergraduate) when they start the internship. We accept students at the Bachelor (3rd or 4th year) or Master level. Candidates have to be enrolled as regular students at their home university when they undertake the internship. The internship should be part of their curriculum.
Interested candidates must get their home institution international exchange office’s green light to apply.
Students interested in an internship in computer and communication sciences can apply in the framework of the Summer@EPFL program (distinct eligibility rules).
Applications for internships in 2018 are now closed. Applications for internships in 2019 will open in October 2018.
Documents and forms to be filled for your application (incomplete applications will not be considered):
- Online application form*
- Curriculum vitae
- Motivation letter (maximum 1000 words)
- Official transcripts from your university or high school stating your academic results of the 2 last years up to the most recent one
- 2 reference letters from a Professor or/and previous employer (maximum 1000 words)
- 1 passport-format picture in JPEG for your EPFL student card (please refer to the acceptance criteria)
- Scan of your passport
* Including 3 choices of Professors. Please note that there is no guarantee that your requests will be accepted.
Once you have uploaded all the required documents and filled in your application, your application will be taken into consideration.
Successful candidates will get an answer from a Professor who could welcome them as soon as possible. They will also be provided with a check-list with visa, accomodation and insurance details. For more details, please visit our Q&A page.
COMBINING A RESEARCH INTERNSHIP AND AN EXCHANGE PROGRAM
Candidates interested in a student exchange program can consider combining their exchange semester of studies with a research internship (before or after). Interested students should contact their home university international exchange office to confirm this option and send an email to researchinternships-at-epfl.
Student exchange program language:
- Bachelor program: mostly taught in French 1st & 2nd year, increasing number of courses in English from 3rd year. Check out courses taught in English.
- Master program: majority of courses taught in English.
MARVEL Master’s fellowships
The INSPIRE Potentials – MARVEL Master’s fellowships dedicated to female students empowers them to conduct their Master’s thesis research in a laboratory belonging to the NCCR MARVEL on “Computational Design and Discovery of Novel Materials” in order to increase their number in the field of simulation science. More information about the INSPIRE Potentials – MARVEL Master’s fellowships.
Think Swiss Scholarship
For additional funding, only registered students from a University in the United States or Canada can apply for the Think Swiss Research Scholarship Program:
The EPFL housing office will support successful candidates in finding a flat-sharing solution or a room.
International students enjoy speaking English on campus and in the laboratories whilst French is the official spoken language in this part of Switzerland. English is also widely spoken in Switzerland.
For an idea of a student’s budget, please click here. Please note that this is an average budget. Interns from the Research Internship Programs don’t have to pay tuition fees.